Tuesday, September 23, 2008

September 8, 2008 - Independence, MO: Harry Truman's Home

I headed from Lee's Summit (a suburb of Kansas City) to Independence, Missouri. As I drove, I saw a sign for Raytown, MO. I really never thought Raytown, MO actually existed. It's the location where the show Mama's Family took place. This was a skit on the Carol Burnett variety show in the 60s/70s which later became a brief spinoff.


View Larger Map

Independence, MO
Independence, MO is the home of President Harry Truman. It's in the northwest area of Missouri. This is the first presidential home I've visited on this trip, and possibly the only one. The only other place associated with a president that I visited on this trip was Medora, ND, (blog entry, photos)which is associated with Theodore Roosevelt. Of course, I also saw Mount Rushmore (blog posting, photos).

Something Somewhat Familiar
On the outskirts of Independence, I saw a familiar name: Price Chopper. It's a grocery store. But from the outside it looks nothing like the Price Chopper we all know. See the photos.
It should be noted that in my trip to southern Missouri two weeks later, I saw stores called Price Cutter. I don't have any photos of those.

Downtown Independence
The downtown section of Independence celebrates Harry Truman. There are banners around the city. There is a statue of Truman near the courthouse. There are signs pointing out where to buy tickets to see his home. The home is owned by the National Park Service. Tickets can be purchased in a building several blocks from the actual home. Specific tour times are given. When I obtained my ticket (for free since I have the national parks annual pass), a couple were scheduled for the same tour time. They bought tickets but never actually showed up at the house. See the photos.

The weather was quite cold. The park ranger said that it should be in the 90s at this point. It was in the 50s with very light rain. I had to wear a jacket.

Clinton Soda Fountain
Since it would be a while before my tour started, I went to the Clinton Soda Fountain. This has historic significance because Harry Truman had his first job there. They sold memorabilia related to Truman in addition to selling sandwiches and desserts. I had a root beer float (to be expected in an old fashioned soda fountain).

Tour Started Early
When I arrived for the tour, I still had ten minutes to wait. The park ranger saw my car parked and had me come in about ten minutes early. It was the last tour of the day and I think she wanted to finish up since the weather was getting bad.

Truman's Home
Photographs were not allowed. When standing on the porch of the home, you could look in the garage. Truman's car was parked in the garage and has not been driven since 1972 when he last drove it. Much of the home has been preserved as best as possible from the time the Trumans lived there. Even things like the toaster used by the Trumans is still on the table.

Harry Truman's coat and hat are still hanging from the last time he used them. Bess Truman specifically wanted them to remain that way. When I walked over to look at them, the park ranger informed me that the exact spot where I was standing was where Harry Truman stood when he received word that North Korea had invaded South Korea.

There are a lot of intricate details on the walls of the house. The metal work on the doors is also quite intricate. But the interesting thing is that the home has what looks like the crest symbol of the National Park Service in various spots. At first I thought the Park Service had actually added it. But the ranger pointed out that absolutely nothing can be changed in the house. That symbol was there long before Truman ever thought about being Vice President.

Presidents Nixon and Carter both visited Bess Truman. There is a couch in one of the rooms where both of them sat over the years.

Privacy Fence
After Truman left the presidency, the neighbors all welcomed him. However, they would crowd around the house at all hours. A fence had to be constructed for distance. People would still crowd around the fence. There is a study and Truman would spend his days there. When the light went out, people would know he retired for the evening.

Up to the end of his life, Truman took a walk for at least a mile every day. The coat and hat were left hanging after his final walk.

The tour only included the main floor. The upstairs was currently undergoing repairs, though I'm not sure if it's ever actually part of the tour.

Other Possible Presidential Homes on This Trip
President Truman is chronologically the most recent president whose home I have visited. Before this trip is over, I could visit Benjamin Harrison's (#23) home in Indianapolis, IN. But, I probably won't due to the gas shortages in Indiana. I might visit James Madison's home in Montpelier Station, VA, for a second time. His home was being renovated last time I visited and the work was expected to be completed by September 17, 2008 (Constitution Day). It all depends on where I choose to go on my way home.

The Drive Back to Wichita
It would be a three hour drive back to Wichita. I drove most of that route back to Wichita last August when I was going to Wichita from Omaha, NE.


View Larger Map

I dropped into Olathe, KS, on the way back. I was only there briefly.

By the time I got back to Wichita, I was totally exhausted.

No comments: