Saturday, October 4, 2008

September 30, 2008 - Moving Further East in Kentucky

Today was mostly devoted to driving further east. I stopped in the city of Pendleton and then worked my way to I-64. Along the way, I saw some beautiful Kentucky countryside.

I briefly stopped in Frankfort, KY, but did not get a chance to see the capitol building. I was rushed because I needed to get to Lexington, KY before 5pm.

My goal for Lexington was to see the grave of Henry Clay. Henry Clay was a former Speaker of the U.S. House of Representatives. He was also a Secretary of State and ran for President multiple times. He was one of the main founders of the Whig Party and vigorously opposed Andrew Jackson and Martin Van Buren (7th and 8th presidents). Clay and Jackson never liked each other, but he and Van Buren became somewhat friendly. Both expected to run against each other in the 1844 presidential campaign....but the Democrats decided against running Van Buren at the last minute.

Last year, I visited Lexington and saw a replica of Henry Clay's home, called Ashland. By the time I got to the cemetery, it was closed. This time, I got in just in time to see the huge monument. As I left, the guard was waiting to close up the gates. See the photos of the monument.

My destination for the evening was Grayson, KY. This is about thirty miles from the Kentucky/West Virginia border. Originally I planned to actually be in Huntington, WV by the evening. However, this hotel allowed me to save 4,000 points. So, I figured it was worth pushing the extra thirty miles to the next day.

As I drove to Grayson, I noticed a sign for the Carter Caves Resort Park. It was only about nine miles west of the hotel. I figured it may be worthwhile to see a cave in Kentucky the next day before I left the state.

No comments: