Sunday, May 16, 2010

May 12 - 14, 2010: Kansas Again

I spent Wednesday through early Friday visiting my friend in Wichita again and helping out with some volunteer projects.

As May 13 was the Feast of the Ascension of our Lord, this is a holy day of obligation in the Catholic Church. At least it is in Europe and the eastern part of the United States. My friend (who is Catholic) was not aware it is a holy day of obligation. On Wednesday I called the parish where he attends to find out the Mass schedule. They said the Ascension was being celebrated on Sunday. They would not even be having a daily Mass on Thursday. That was really surprising.

I have read in missalettes that the Ascension could be celebrated on a Sunday as part of the regular Sunday Mass. But I never knew of any diocese that actually did that. (On the other hand, I don't think I've ever traveled around that time before.)

Anyway, I knew the Wichita Cathedral would have a daily Mass on Thursday. Whether or not the Ascension was celebrated, I would still at least attend Mass that day.

It turned out the Wichita Cathedral's Mass was dedicated to our Lady of Fatima, for her May 13th appearance. No mention was made of the Ascension though the Gospel reading at least hinted at it.

On Thursday evening I attended a meeting which is related to some new web projects I will be developing.

Friday morning would truly be my last time in Kansas for this trip. I got my stuff ready and headed south to Oklahoma again.

No comments: