Thursday, May 13, 2010

May 6 - 8, 2010: Relaxing in Kansas

Like my 2008 cross country trip, I had some "time off" in Kansas. It was good to stay in one place for a couple of days with people I've known for a while. After a month traveling, it was good to see some routine parts of life again. There is not a lot to report on during this time.

We went to Mass in a small city (not really a city at all) called Medicine Lodge on Saturday (May 8th) evening. Medicine Lodge is about ninety minutes west of Wichita, and not far from the Oklahoma line. From what we saw, it is mostly homes, apartments, and farmland. There were no businesses that we could see. The last gas station was at least twenty miles before the church.


View Larger Map

My friend had to do a presentation at the church at the end of the Mass. The church was quite small. I always think of St. Francis Chapel on Wolf Road in Colonie as small, but it's likely at least twice the size of this church. I'd estimate 50 to 70 people attended Mass and the church was full. The church was built in 2000 and the priest has to go to three parishes that are a bit of a distance apart.

Beyond that, there was not a lot going on. I decided to travel again on Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday. Then I would be back in Wichita to help my friend with some other volunteer projects for a couple of days. Then I'd finally start traveling east for the final week of this journey.

No comments: